12 June 2016

Swiss chard bubble and squeak


When I saw the article Nigel Slater’s spring bubble and squeak on the Guardian I felt sorry for myself not having those ingredients as leftovers in my kitchen, but as Nigel kindly advised, it's such a nice dish that you can even buy the ingredients extra for it. And that's what I did, apart from the swiss chard, of which I had a few leaves left waiting to be cooked. I decided to use chard instead of cabbage and also made a little addition of onion and ends of packets of Cheddar. As herbs I only used parsley, as I had that freshly available, but otherwise I pretty much followed Nigel's recipe. You can find his recipe through the link to the article. These small fried potato cakes tasted just wonderful on a bed of fresh lamb's lettuce.




I'm sharing this recipe with Eat Your Greens, which I am hosting this month. The vegetarian and vegan cooking challenge is co-hosted by Shaheen from A2K - A Seasonal VegTable. You still have plenty of time to participate and share you recipes with green vegetables by midnight 28th June.


As I used quite cheap ingredients for this dish and also ends of packets and left-over vegetables, I would like to share this recipe with Credit Crunch Munch as well. This months host is Lisa from Lovely Appetite, and the event is co-hosted by Fab Food 4 All and Fuss Free Flavours.


Have a good Sunday!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. Looks great - I need a little inspiration for some swiss chard I have been gifted - and just yesterday a colleague suggested making bubble and squeak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, then I really think you should also make some. It was so good! :)

      Delete
  2. I do love Nigel's recipes and you take on his Bubble & Squeak looks delicious! Thanks for entering it into #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Camilla! It was my pleasure taking part. :)

      Delete
  3. I do love Bubbble and Squeak and guess what I have just harvested the last of my swiss chard....mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a coincidence! I'm sure you'll make a lovely dish with them. :)

      Delete
  4. What a great idea for left over veg! I don't blame you for making from scratch. Thanks for linking up!! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.