24 February 2019

Mexican rice


I've had an active weekend outdoors, as it has been sunny and quite warm. Yesterday we just walked around in the town centre, but today we went on a long walk in a close by nature reserve. Now I'm happy and relaxed but also a bit tired.

Before I retire in front of Netflix for the evening, I will share this recipe with you. I absolutely adore vegan rice dishes like this variation of Mexican style rice, and I often make similar dishes. It's great to have dishes containing the full protein, and also being affordable and tasty. I used a mix of pinto beans, sweetcorn and bell pepper in this rice with spices and tomato purée. Have a look at the recipe below.

Mexican rice

Ingredients

1 cup cooked pinto beans
1 can sweetcorn
1 red bell pepper
2 onions
3 garlic cloves
1 red chilli
1 chipotle chilli
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
Smoked paprika to taste
Ground cumin to taste
Ground coriander to taste
Mexican oregano to taste
1 can tomato purée
1 cup rice

Method

Cook the rice.

Chop the bell pepper, onions, garlic and chilli.

Start cooking the onion in the vegetable oil, and then also add the garlic and chilli, followed by the bell pepper.

Add the beans and sweetcorn.

Season the mix, and add the tomato purée.

Let it simmer and flavours blend.

Finally mix in the rice and cook some more.

Season to taste and enjoy!



I'm sharing this recipe with My Legume Love Affair #125 hosted by Seema from Mildly Indian. The event was created by Susan from Well Seasoned Cook and is now hosted by Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen.


Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely practical recipe you have here. I love the one pot style of recipes and you just gave me another one to try. Thankyou for adding it to the MLLA event.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.