19 October 2019

Pattypan squash and broccoli green curry

The past two weeks have been eventful and so nice. I've been on my autumn holiday and have had such great and relaxing time. First I took a trip with my partner to Oslo in Norway. We travelled on a cruise ship, which was quite nice for a change, and gave us the opportunity to see the beautiful fjords again. The weather was quite gloomy and rainy, but we still enjoyed the trip a lot. Then my brother came with his family to visit us in Copenhagen. It was also very nice to have family over and spend some quality time with them. My nephew loved the new Copenhagen metro so it was easy to entertain him. Otherwise I was just chilling at home and going for long walks in Copenhagen to admire the autumn colours. It was a good idea to take holiday at this time of the year.

Now to today's recipe. Thai curries are true comfort food for me, and they are so easy to make as tasty vegan dishes. I made this one inspired by the beautiful local produce of pattypan squash and tenderstem broccoli representing different shades of green. Naturally I wanted to make a Thai style green curry with them. I also used the Finnish oat block in this dish, which is like tofu, but made from oats. It's a really nice product and now also available in Denmark. Here is my recipe for a pattypan squash and broccoli green curry.


Pattypan squash and broccoli green curry

Ingredients

Green curry paste:

3 garlic cloves
2 cm fresh ginger
1 large green chilli
½ lime's juice
1 lemongrass stalk
Bunch of fresh coriander

Other ingredients:

½ pattypan squash
200 g tenderstem broccoli
1 onion
½ cup frozen spinach
160 g oat block or tofu
Vegetable oil for frying
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 cup jasmine rice
Fresh coriander

Method

Put the ingredients for the paste into a blender and purée them into smooth paste. Set it to side. If you ever happen to make too much paste, it's also good to freeze and use later.

Cut the oat block or tofu into cubes and fry them in hot vegetable oil until they are golden brown from each side. Set them to side.

Chop the onion coarsely and start slow cooking it in a saucepan.

Peel and cut the pattypan squash into cubes and add them to the onion.

After a while, add the green curry paste to the pan. Soon after pour in the coconut milk and add the seasoning to taste and let simmer.

Chop the broccoli and steam the stems. Then add them to the curry. Also add the previously fried oat block pieces or tofu to the curry.

Cook the rice and serve it with the curry. Enjoy!



I'm sharing this recipe with this month's Eat Your Greens challenge, which is hosted by me in October and co-hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen. October isn't over yet, so you'll have time to take part as well. Check out the full rules here.


Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks tasty! I have actually been doing a bit of cooking this week, but mine would have to be titled 'Eat your Oranges' as it's been squash-based!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, it's the season for orange food and squashes are so tasty, so I can't blame you.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Belinda - mmmm, it does look tasty. So good to read that you have had a good Autumn holiday,my holiday seems like but a distant memory that i hanker for another- but thank goodness that I have an extra day off from work making it a long w/e. This is a lovely contribution for #EatYourGreens - My recipe is winging its way to you. Loving the 'ghostly' looking pattypan squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen! I have another pattypan squash waiting to be cooked, but what to make of it? I hope you'll get a nice break soon too and I look forward to your Eat Your Greens post.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.