24 November 2019

Upside down brussels sprout pizza


It's time to start thinking about Christmas food, as it's soon December. I want to test a few center piece candidates before deciding the dishes for our vegetarian Christmas feast, and I think that it's nice to sample different seasonal food in this pre-Christmas period. So in this spirit I made a seasonal upside down brussels sprout pizza. The crust is a seedy thick crust and the toppings are potatoes, slow cooked onions and brussels sprouts with sage and other spices. I topped the pizza or pie with sea buckthorn and cranberries to add a splash of colour and they also added a nice flavour contrast. I think that this dish could be nice at the Christmas table. I just love sprouts and good ones have started appearing at the market, also the ones in the stalks. I need to make more sprout dishes in the near future, but here is this recipe first.

Upside down brussels sprout pizza

Ingredients

Dough

200 g wheat flour
1/2 cup seed mix
2 tbsp dry yeast
1 tsp salt
150 ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp vegetable oil

Filling

1 onion
1 garlic clove
5-6 small potatoes
8-10 brussels sprouts
Vegetable oil for frying
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp Cabbage Karma spice mix
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
Fresh sage leaves

Sea buckthorn and cranberries for decoration

Method

Mix and knead the dough ingredients and let it rise for about one hour.

In the meanwhile prepare the other ingredients. Cook the potatoes and slice them. Steam the brussels sprouts and cut them to halves. Slice the onion and chop the garlic finely and slow cook them in oil.

Add the potatoes and brussels sprouts to the onions and spice the mix. I used Cabbage Karma spice mix that is a blend consisting of coriander seeds infused in orange oil with fennel seeds, sumac, black pepper and lemon thyme. I also added sea salt, ground black pepper and fresh sage leaves.

Arrange the vegetables in the pan. Use the same pan for frying and baking in the oven. I put the brussels sprouts on the bottom (meaning that they will be on top of the pizza once turned around), then the potatoes followed by the onions. Then place the dough on top. Hand stretch it over the vegetables and bake the pizza at 200 C for about 20 minutes. When it's done, turn it around on a plate and enjoy! 




I'm sharing this recipe with the last edition of Eat Your Greens hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen and co-hosted by me. Sadly this event will come to an end after this month, but you still have time to share your green recipe with us! It would be nice to get plenty of green recipes for the last round up. There are more details about the rules here.


Your VegHog

9 comments:

  1. I am not thinking about Christmas until next week ...but your upside down sprout tart is wonderful. I have made sprout quiche in the past but this is lovely. I am not a huge fan of sprouts, but do try to eat them in season and a slice of your sprout pizza would go down well with me. Thank you so much for joining in as always with EatYourGreens, its a wonderful contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Shaheen! I enjoyed this pizza quite a lot, I don't think that you necessarily have to be a fan of sprouts to be able to enjoy this.

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing and I'll certainly be trying it out in an attempt to convert my boyfriend to more veggie dishes - and just because I want to eat it too!
    Sad to have missed so much of the Eat Your Greens: the few I've seen have had amazing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that you like the recipe. I hope you'll convince your boyfriend.

      Shaheen has put together an Eat Your Greens Archive with the recipes from over the years. It's a great source of inspiration and you can find it here: https://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/p/eat-your-greens-ch.html

      Delete
  3. Love that! Definitely on my table in december! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you tried and liked it! I think I might make this again for Christmas. :)

      Delete
  4. my type of food! the cabbage karma spice mix sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ray! Yes, the Cabbage Karma is a lovely blend for any cabbage dishes.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.