12 June 2013

Refried beans

You might already have noticed that this week is Mexican themed with The VegHog. Today I'm making refried beans, which are a great and filling addition to any vegetarian Mexican meal.

Ingredients

1 cup dried red kidney beans
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
A few tablespoons of vegetable stock
Ground coriander
Pepper
Salt
Oil

Soak the beans overnight if you're using dried beans. On the next day then boil them until fully cooked. First boil them heavily for about 15 minutes and then boil them further at lower heat for about an hour. When the beans are cooked mash them. I keep also the bean skins but if you prefer you can press the mash through a colander if you want a smoother consistency.


Chop the onion and garlic and fry them lightly in oil. Then add the beans to the pan. Fry at low heat for about 20 minutes occasionally stirring. Add a little vegetable stock to make the mixture smoother. Season with salt, pepper and ground coriander.


Your VegHog


2 comments:

  1. I used to love eating these with some fresh baked bread as a child! Thank you for sharing the recipe, this one is very similar to the one that my mother used, very authentic. :)

    P.S: I have linked your blog on my most recent blog post in case you'd like to check it out!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adi and thanks for posting the link! I like your writing.

    I'm afraid as a Finn I'm not very authentic Mexican cook but I tried to make it quite basic and beany, no gimmicks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.