27 October 2015

Bratkartoffeln – German style fried potatoes


I'm off to Germany tonight!! I'm so happy to have holiday and be able to visit my old home country. I try to post something from there, but if I don't manage, please don't wonder where I am, I'll be back very soon.

Before I'd leave, I wanted to make a vegetarian German dish and chose the good old Bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes) this time. They can be close to heaven when made correctly with a crispy surface and soft middle with an extinct taste. It helps, if the potatoes are cooked the previous day and then directly fried in hot oil and butter. I prefer adding some butter, as it gives them some extra flavour, but you can easily veganise this dish by using plant substitutes for butter. I served the Bratkartoffeln with some fried chestnut mushrooms as a side and here's how I made them.

Ingredients

500 g potatoes
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp vegetable oil
25 g butter
Salt
Ground black pepper
Parsley

Method

Boil the potatoes in water on the previous night, cool down and store in the fridge overnight. The next day cut them into generous slices or wedges. I left the skins on on mine, but you can also peel them, if you prefer.

Heat the oil and butter in a pan and add the potatoes. Fry them until they are crispy and golden brown.

Chop the onion and garlic finely. Fry them in a separate pan in some oil and add them to the potatoes once they are soft and slightly browned.

Season the dish to taste and enjoy!


Bis bald!

Euer vegetarischer Igel

2 comments:

  1. you can never go wrong with fried potatoes - enjoy your holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! I so agree with you about the potatoes, and I'm already back and had a lovely time. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.