13 April 2019

Asparagus and peanut noodles


This week has again been sunny, but quite chilly. Yesterday even a few snowflakes came down. Anyway it's starting to look more springlike with all the flowers around and leaves on the trees starting to grow. Next week it's already Easter. We will get some visitors from England over Easter, so we will mainly be out and about in town.

This dish could actually be an alternative Easter meal. Asparagus just belongs to the spring, and it's nice to see local asparagus appearing in the market. I was looking for new inspiration for cooking asparagus, and I stumbled upon this asparagus and peanut pairing in The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit. It sounded nice, so I adapted this recipe from it, and also added some spicy noodles to the mix. The dressing also contained some lemon, and of course lemon and asparagus are always a great match.


Asparagus and peanut noodles

Ingredients

For the asparagus (adapted from The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit: Asparagus & Peanut)

1 bunch green asparagus
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
Pinch of sugar
100 g chopped roasted salted peanuts
1 tsp black sesame seeds

For the noodles

200 g tofu
Vegetable oil for frying
200 g noodles
1 red chilli
1 jalapeno
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil

Method

Cut the tofu into cubes and fry them in the vegetable oil.

Cook the noodles and cool them down again.

Chop the chilli, jalapeno and garlic finely, and cook them in oil until soft.

Then add the noodles and tofu to the pan, and season to taste.

Steam the asparagus spears and prepare the peanut dressing by mixing the ingredients together.

Serve the noodles with the asparagus and peanut dressing and enjoy!




I'm sharing this recipe with this month's Eat Your Greens, which is hosted by me this month, and co-hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen. There is still plenty of time also to share your recipe in April!


Have a great weekend!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. lovely spring meal - it makes me feel wistful for spring and pre-peanut-allergy days. Enjoy your spring days and visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So right on about the weather. its been sunny here too, but also quite chilly. Even though I am not a fan of noodles, this does actually sound lovely and my husband would be envious of the asparagus! I wish I had picked up The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit all those years ago, I have her most recent book (given at Christmas) - I may need to treat myself to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you are not a noodle fan. I have started eating them more lately, as they are really nice in this kind of bowls. The Flavour Thesaurus is really handy for new ideas of combining ingredients and getting new inspiration.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.