1 October 2020

In My Kitchen in October

 


I proudly present my new logo to you! It was designed and made by my lovely partner. I think that he captured the essence of the VegHog very well here. What do you think?

Other things in my kitchen in October are a lot of pumpkins and squashes. I will post further squash and pumpkin recipes throughout the month. We have a new local vegetable market and I just love their organic produce. It’s all so clean and flavourful sold directly by the farmers themselves.




I also bought some finger limes for the first time. They look cute, don’t they? They taste pretty much the same as regular limes, but they have a bit different texture inside. It’s like small pearls when you squeeze them.



Apart from that, I’m still getting a little bit of own produce from the balcony, tomatoes, peppers, chilli and cape gooseberries, which are a nice addition to have. Even my sweet peas are still flowering and it’s October!



I got myself a new toaster, as I haven’t owned a toaster for 3+ years since I left the UK. It’s very handy to have one now. And if you remember my wooden box, I got many nice tips from you how to line it so that the oil bottles won't stain it too much. For now I used cling film, as I didn't have any foil, but I think I'll try both. It looks nice there in any case.



I bought another one of these excellent olive oils with the cute label and a salad dressing with orange and rosemary that is so flavourful and handy to have.




Hera are again some dishes that I’ve cooked lately, which didn’t make it to blog posts.

Tomato and bell pepper risotto with fried grill cheese topping



Fresh salad with cashew nuts and cape gooseberries



Golden Thai noodles with tofu and coconut sauce



I’m sharing this post with Sherry from Sherry's Pickings, who is hosting the In My Kitchen event.

 


Your VegHog

 

11 comments:

  1. Your food looks delicious! I had never heard of finger limes -- they originate in Australia so I guess we haven't received them yet here in the US, especially up north where that type of tree or shrub doesn't grow.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mae! This was the first time I saw finger limes, so naturally had to try them straight away.

      Delete
  2. i love the new logo :) it made me smile when i saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum that risotto looks great. and i looove your new logo! you know how i am with drawings of food on my blog:) i am amazed you can get finger limes there. they are native to australia, and come from this region - northern new south wales and south east queensland. they do actually taste quite different to actual limes when you get them fresh. i love to try different olive oils and my pantry is full of different sorts. your wooden box is a beautiful thing too. we seem to go thru many toasters. they keep blowing up! cheers and thanks for joining in
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love the new logo! I so wish we had a farmers' market here and I am curious to try finger limes. A pity they cannot just be posted haha. I have just bought some anti slip matting for my drawer and I am curious to see if the oil bottles create as much mess as when they were just on paper towel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have good local markets. I have only seen the finger limes once though. The anti slip matting sounds good. Maybe I'll also make a bit more permanent and neat solution for my box and it would be handy for a cupboard too.

      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic new logo! And what a great idea to top the risotto with grilled cheese, it would make a wonderful textural contrast. I will keep an eye out for finger limes although I am not sure they will make an appearance in our little town. Stay well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The textural contrast with risotto and the grilled cheese was indeed very nice. Stay safe!

      Delete
  6. Your new logo is fantastic. I adore how the hedgehog is carrying the fruit and veg. Awesome. Teh cape gooseberries are so pretty too. And you have me yearning for risotto, i haven't had risotto in a long time and autumn is def. the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shaheen! I have to make other risottos too, my recent pumpkin risotto was quite nice too.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.