28 October 2014

Red kidney bean Schnitzel


First veggie Schnitzel post from me in October!? Well, better late than never. Somehow I haven't made that many veggie burgers lately, maybe the more autumnal recipes have taken over. But now I have been once again experimenting in my kitchen for a different bean burger, and this time my recipe is for red kidney bean Schnitzel with nice spices. These Schnitzel are very versatile to use, and you can even freeze some of them for later spontaneous usage.

I have made a few veggie burgers before using semolina instead of my standard binding ingredients wheat flour or breadcrumbs. I also find that these burgers can be very easily veganised as the batter binds together pretty well, meaning it probably would bind okay without the egg as well. Maybe I'll try a vegan version next time.


Ingredients for about 10 Schnitzel

1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp vegetable oil
480 g / 2 cans red kidney beans
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sage
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 dl semolina + some extra for the surface
1 egg
Vegetable oil for frying

Method

Chop the onion and garlic finely and cook them in vegetable oil until soft.

Add the beans and the seasoning and let cook for about 10 minutes. All excess liquid should be evaporated during the cooking. Crush the beans a little bit after the cooking and let the mix cool.

Add the egg and semolina to the mix and stir it into an even firm dough.

Shape burgers from the dough and roll them in some extra semolina.

I made mine oven baked, but what I noticed then was that they became fairly dry. I think this mixture works better when pan fried in vegetable oil.

But if you still decide to go with the baking method, which is more effortless, here's what to do: place the Schnitzel on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake at 200 for about 30 minutes.



Enjoy as a Schnitzel meal with salad and other sides or inside a burger bun. I served mine with steamed purple sprouting broccoli and salad, a little bit different combination this time.

I'm off to Germany today, but I hope I have the opportunity to post something from there. Certainly there will be a couple of Germany related posts once I'm back. Have a great week!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. I've been big on veggie burgers lately. I must try this one as kidney beans are one of my favorite legumes. Lovely recipe complete with all the trimmings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! Sometimes it's nice to have different trimmings with veggie burgers.

      Delete
  2. Yum, I've got all the ingredients at home, but not dried sage. Still want to make it, it's been a long while since I've had a good veggie schnitzel and yours looks DEELicious, yum and very autumnal too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I've just noticed that the quantity of semolina is missing from the recipe, please let us know as I am really tempted to make this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope I now remember correctly, but I think it was about 1dl semolina + some for dusting. I'm sure I have it in my notes, but I'm now not at home and can't check. I would advice you to add it gradually and check when you have a sturdy texture. Sorry about this!

      Delete
    2. I checked the semolina amount in my notes and have indeed marked 1dl for it. Did you try making these? Apologies again for forgetting it in the ingredients, I will now update the post with the semolina amount. :)

      Delete
    3. No worries, I make mistakes in my recipe when typing up and it takes an eagle -eyed reader (mostly someone who wants to make it) to point it out, so no need to apologise. I haven't made it yet, but hope to very soon. I will let you know when , by the way last month you were curious as to what I was going to do with my other marrow, here is the link to the recipe. http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/vegan-smoked-bone-marrow-stew.html

      Delete
    4. Thanks for this marrow recipe as well, as if you knew that I bought a marrow today! I'm certainly going to look into both recipes again, as my partner isn't normally too fond of marrows, but likes curries and smoky food very much, so either recipe would be a great idea to make.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.