2 October 2014

Savoury spelt crêpes with cheese and tomato


The router broke and I was internetless (well, mobile network only) for ALMOST TWO DAYS – panic! It's incredible what happened then. I was so active, read books, walked, exercised, cooked, baked, drank no alcohol and watched no TV! Well, it's back on now, so I can at least post this recipe and catch up a bit. I think however, I will voluntarily try to keep such days without surfing in the future, it was so refreshing.

So, now to the actual recipe. Ever since I fell in love with spelt flour, I have been dreaming of spelt crêpes. Now the time has come that I tried them, and they were so good! A Nutella crêpe is a really nice thing, but the savoury ones still always win for me. I thought I'd combine my first spelt crêpes with quite an established and tasty mix of tomato, garlic, cheese and basil. 

This recipe will make about four large crêpes.

Batter ingredients:

2 eggs
4 dl milk
2 dl spelt flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt

Other ingredients:

Butter for frying
4 tomatoes
1 garlic clove
Handful of fresh basil leaves
100 g mozzarella and cheddar mix
Salt and ground black pepper

Method

Whisk the crêpe ingredients into a smooth batter and let it rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge.

In the meanwhile you can chop the crêpe fillings: slice the tomatoes, chop the garlic finely and grate the cheese.

Heat some butter in a pan and fry the crêpes golden brown on both sides.

Place the filling into the middle of the flat crêpe while it's still in the pan. Turn the crêpe corners over the filling in order to cover it. Let it in the pan for few moments so that the cheese can melt a little and the flavours blend.

Serve instantly and enjoy!



This is a wonderful breakfast or snack, a little bit naughty of course (butter + cheese...), but still also containing fresh ingredients. And the spelt flour brings such a wonderful nuttiness to it. I will definitely be trying other savoury variations soon.

Your VegHog

3 comments:

  1. I love basil! I'll have to make this the next time I go grocery shopping.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and that's what really brought this treat together. I'm always growing basil indoors and in the summer on the balcony. It must be my most frequently used herb.
      And of course these can be made with wheat flour as well, if you can't get spelt.

      Delete
  2. Your recipe says 4dl milk, what does dl mean?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.