14 July 2015

Sibelius



This year is the 150th anniversary of the birth of the great Finnish composer Jean Sibelius (8.12.1865–20.9.1957). This means that there will be plenty of Sibelius themed events in Finland throughout the year. Sibelius is the one who composed the masterpiece Finlandia, probably his best known work (have a listen here). 

A beer by Vakka-Suomen Panimo was released this year to mark the occasion and Lasse Rantanen's illustration of young Sibelius is proudly presented on the bottle. I tasted this celebratory beer and here are my impressions of it.  

Sibelius Beer 4,5 %
  • Foretaste with grassy barley and hints of tangerine
  • Powerful toasty, caramel malts with bitter hops
  • Fresh, orange citrus aftertaste


This is a good beer to be enjoyed this year and beyond, if you can only obtain it somewhere. I'm lucky enough to be able to visit Finland in a few weeks again, so I'm hoping for some nice Sibelius tasting times.

Your VegHog

1 comment:

  1. The photos were taken in my mum's garden in April, but I only recently enjoyed the Sibelius bottle I took with me to England.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.