18 January 2016

Thrice-cooked potato and leek bake


Potatoes and leeks are the best produce of this season for me and I love combining both of them with cheese, it's an old yet proved combination. So I don't know what made me think of thrice-cooked potatoes, but I was intrigued to see how it would work out. The potato slices were briefly boiled, then fried in oil and finally baked in the oven. They were combined with a cheesy leek mix in a hearty bake. This is a perfect dish to warm up on a chilly dark evening.

Ingredients

400 g potatoes
Vegetable oil
3 leeks
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
Vegetable stock powder
Fresh parsley
Salt
Ground black pepper
200 g grated Cheddar

Method

Slice the potatoes thinly. Boil them in water for about 5 minutes. Put them into a bowl and add some vegetable oil to them. Fry the potato slices for a few minutes in a hot pan until they get brown.

Slice the leeks and chop the onion and garlic finely. Cook them in oil until soft, then add a little vegetable stock powder and water. Season with parsley, salt and pepper and let simmer under lid by occasionally stirring.

Layer the leek mix, scalloped potatoes and cheese into an oven dish and bake for about 10-15 minutes.

I served the bake with steamed carrots and fried gem lettuce (too much Masterchef watching for me?). It was a nice dinner.



Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.