18 December 2016

Danish style cocoa and rum balls


I will be off to Finland tomorrow to spend Christmas with my family. I still have a few posts prepared for next week, so there will be more posts, but then I will probably be quiet for a few days and just relax at home. What are your Christmas plans this year?

Now to this sweet recipe. Every time I go to Denmark or Sweden I just have to have these cocoa and rum balls. They are so tasty and incredibly filling, as they are so dense. It's good that you don't manage to eat too many of them, as they are full of butter and sugar.

I thought that these balls would be a nice idea for Christmas as well. There's no baking involved, it's all very simple to make. I adapted my version from Kim's recipe for Cocoa oat balls Havregrynskugler at the Nordic Food & Living blog.


Danish style cocoa and rum balls
Adapted from Nordic Food & Living blog's recipe

Ingredients

For the dough:
280 g oat flakes
225 g soft butter
200 g sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp almond extract
4 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp rum

For decorating:
Desiccated coconut
Hazelnut crunch
Cocoa powder

Method

Just mix all ingredients into an even dough, and let it rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Then shape balls from the dough.

Roll the balls in desiccated coconut, hazelnut crunch and cocoa powder, or in anything else that you can think.

Enjoy!



Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. I love these!! Definitely want to make some now. :)
    Happy holidays!

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a very merry christmas in finland - I love these balls though they are quite different from our version of rumballs I grew up with (we never called them rumballs or put rum in them - though why we called them grubs I never knew) Christmas seems pretty crazy here so I think I will enjoy some relaxing when christmas day rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these, so different from the bliss balls.
    I am all ready for Christmas and looking forward to the days off from work, there will indeed be lots of eating.
    Have a wonderful time in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a nice Christmas time as well Shaheen!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.