19 December 2016

Chestnut and parsnip burgers


Who said that you can't have veggie burgers at Christmas? I hope no one, as here comes exactly such a recipe. I made my savoury veggie burger patties from parsnips and chestnuts, and served them on a cheese and chive roll with spinach and sea buckthorn jelly. I really loved the addition of the sea buckthorn jelly, it instantly made the burgers feel more festive. You could also use cranberry jelly, if you can't get sea buckthorn jelly. I still happened to have a jar that I have brought with me from Finland some time ago. The chestnut purée was very handy to use. I can imagine that it would be good in nut roasts as well.

And yes, those are indeed potato crisps on the side, just a bit more special ones with winterberries and prosecco flavour. I saw potato crisps served on a plate for the first time in Northern Ireland. I was slightly puzzled at the sight first, but actually it's not that crazy at all. These ones with the little stars just look great and festive.

I can't believe I haven't used my little wooden reindeer platter more in presentations. I've had it for years, and maybe just once have shown it on the blog, if at all. It's just great for such Christmas showcases.


Chestnut and parsnip burgers

Ingredients for about 8 burger patties

3 parsnips
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vegetable stock extract
Sprinkle of sea salt
Sprinkle of ground black pepper
200 g chestnut purée
Few fresh sage leaves
½ cup breadcrumbs

Serve with:
Sea buckthorn jelly
Fresh baby spinach
Cheese and chive roll
Winter berries & Prosecco potato crisps

Method

Peel and cut the parsnips into large chunks, cook them in water until done and then mash them.

Chop the onion and garlic finely and cook them in vegetable oil until soft. Add the vegetable stock extract, salt and pepper to the onion and mix them with the parsnip purée.

Add the chestnut purée, finely chopped fresh sage leaves and breadcrumbs to the mix and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Shape burger patties from the mixture.

Pre-heat the oven to 200 C and bake the patties for about 30 minutes.

Serve as burgers with all the nice sides and enjoy!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Mm, I think I know where the rest of my chestnuts will be used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the recipe. These were quite nice seasonal burgers. I've had so much chestnuts lately that I really need a break after Christmas, even though they're really nice.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.