5 September 2016

Mozzarella and pickled beetroot sandwiches


For this breakfast recipe I used the beetroot and carrot root vegetable bread, which you may have seen in my foodie shopping from Finland post. However any bread is good here, even just regular slices of toast. I decided to add a little bit more beetroot to these breads by pickling thin beetroot strings. I let them pickle overnight, but I'm sure a shorter pickling time would also be fine.

I absolutely love the look of the vibrant beetroot. I never want it to be a dominating flavour, but in small doses it's great, almost as seasoning. I enjoyed these breads very much and they made a nice change to my regular breakfasts.


Ingredients

1 sweet beetroot
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
Sprinkle of ground black pepper

250 g mozzarella
Handful fresh rocket
1 small garlic clove
4 slices of bread

Method

Cut the beetroot into spirals. Briefly heat the pickle mix for the beetroot and leave it overnight in the pickle. I'm sure you can use these earlier, if you don't want to wait overnight.

Slice the mozzarella and cut the garlic clove in half.

Toast the bread slices and rub the cut sides of the garlic onto the bread.

Fill the breads with rocket, mozzarella and pickled beetroot and enjoy!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. looks lovely and I am impressed you made your own pickled beetroot - I always have it from the tin! I am also impressed you were brave enough to photograph the sandwiches on a white cloth as I know if I did it would have beetroot stains all over it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only a napkin, so I felt brave enough. The pickling bit was very easy, I think I'll always make my own now.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.