4 February 2016

Squash filo tartlets


I have mentioned many times before that crown prince squash is one of my favourite squashes. The oddly coloured greyish green peel encases the most beautiful orange squash flesh. This time I decided to make some filo tartlets featuring roasted crown price squash and cheese. The combination of soft roasted squash, melting cheese and crispy filo cases is quite a nice one. I haven't cooked with filo for quite a while, but I really like it. Filo can be quite tricky to handle, but I managed not to severely break any of the delicate sheets, so that was nice. The filo sheets are easier to handle at room temperature, so take them out of the fridge a bit earlier before you start preparing the dish.


Here is my recipe for 12 tartlets:

Ingredients

½ crown prince squash
Olive oil for roasting and brushing the pastry
Fresh sage leaves
Nutmeg to taste
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
270 g filo pastry sheets
150 g grated cheddar and mozzarella



Method

Peel and dice the squash, brush it with olive oil and roast in the oven.

Season the squash mix with sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Cut the filo pastry sheets into even squares.

Brush silicone muffin cases with olive oil.

Place the filo sheets into the cases one layer at the time pressing them down onto the bottom. Put four sheets into each one and brush them with olive oil.

Pre-bake the filo cases at 200 C for about 5-8 minutes until a little bit crispy.

Fill the cases with the squash mix and the cheese and bake until the cheese has melted.



Enjoy!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. These would be fantastic appetizers at any Vegetarian party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope I'll have some occasions soon to make these or similar tartlets.

      Delete
  2. will be trying this out next weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.