13 February 2016

Thai green curry


I absolutely love Thai green curry and other vegetarian or vegan Thai curries. In this dish there are fresh Thai flavours with fragrant thai basil, firm tofu and fluffy light jasmine rice as the side.

For the tofu I used my frozen tofu method. I'm not sure, if I have mentioned it here before? Anyway it's quite simple: unpack a block of tofu, remove some of the excess liquid without pressing it too much, freeze and defrost before use. The freezing seems to have a pleasant influence on how the tofu can later be fried firm on the outside and soft in the inside. In this recipe I used very chunky tofu pieces.


Here is my vegan Thai green curry recipe made from these beautiful ingredients:

Thai green curry paste:

1 onion
4 cloves garlic
2 large green chillies
1 cm fresh ginger
3 kaffir lime leaves
Juice of ½ lime
Pinch of ground turmeric
Handful of Thai basil
Handful of fresh coriander

Other curry ingredients:

250 g tofu
1+1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 carrots
2 pak choi
100 g asparagus
1 tsp palm sugar
160 ml coconut cream
2 dried lemongrass stalks
2 tsp vegetable stock powder
Thai basil to taste
Fresh coriander to taste
Soy sauce to taste
1 cup jasmine rice




Method:

First make the curry paste by puréeing the paste ingredients together.

Cut the tofu into long chunky pieces and fry them in hot vegetable oil until firm.

Cut the vegetables into long pieces and start cooking them in vegetable oil. Add the palm sugar and the green curry paste and keep cooking for a few minutes more.

Add the coconut cream, lemongrass stalks, vegetable stock powder and let simmer until the vegetables are cooked nicely. I personally prefer a bit of bite in them.

Season with soy sauce, Thai basil and coriander to taste. Also add some more lime if you like.

Cook the jasmine rice and serve it together with the curry.





This recipe will be my own contribution to Eat Your Greens cooking challenge, which I'm hosting this month and co-hosting with Shaheen from A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table. Don't forget to share your recipes!


Have a nice weekend!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favourite recipes, though I don't use tofu much in it. Liking this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, it's very good in all kinds of combinations, but at the moment I really like it with the chunky tofu.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.