16 July 2014

Pepper and black bean chilli with rye nachos


A good vegetable chilli is a nice thing to have, even in the summer. I have grown very fond of this combination of chilli and rye nachos that I'm also making today. The rye nachos are very filling and they add a hearty flavour to the dish. A chilli is a handy dish for me as I normally would have enough different vegetables and the seasoning in my cupboard. I happen to have black bean cans in bulk, so that's why I chose them as the main vegetable for the chilli. Here's my pepper and black bean chilli with rye nachos recipe.

Ingredients

3 shallots
4 garlic cloves
1 red chilli
2 bell peppers
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
250 g cherry tomatoes
400 g black beans (1 can)
140 g double concentrated tomato purée
200 g Oltermanni cheese (or any other)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp vegetable stock powder
1 lime's juice
Rye or regular nachos for serving

Method

Chop the shallots, garlic cloves, red chilli, bell peppers and tomatoes small.

Cook the shallots, garlic, chilli and peppers in vegetable oil until soft. Then add the following seasoning: ground coriander, ground cumin and paprika, and stir for about one minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes, black beans and tomato purée, and simmer under lid for at least 30 minutes. The cooking time can be even longer to develop the flavours.

Season later with salt, cocoa powder, vegetable stock powder and lime juice. Add more of any of the spices to taste. Once you are happy that the flavours have blended nicely and everything is cooked, stir in half of the cheese. I used the Finnish Oltermanni cheese, which is my absolute favourite cheese.

Place some rye nachos in an oven dish, pour the chilli on the side and cover with the rest of the cheese. Bake at 180C for about 10 minutes and it's done.



Enjoy warm!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.