1 July 2014

Spelt and carrot mini rolls


Happy July everyone! It's a really nice day here, so the month seems to start well. I'm only stuck indoors now waiting for a delivery. Hopefully it arrives soon so that I can go out a bit.

I made these spelt and carrot mini rolls after I harvested some of my small and funny looking purple carrots and thought they would be perfect in some rolls. The spots of the purple colour look quite funny on the rolls, but of course also regular carrots can be used for this recipe. Due to their smaller size, these are nice to be snacked with bits of cheese or just on their own. I have already posted a similar recipe, my spelt flake and cider rolls, but somehow I thought that these were possibly nicer. I'll let you be the judge of that, if you make both rolls.


This is the recipe for about 20 spelt and carrot mini rolls.

Ingredients

1 carrot
300 ml dry cider (I used organic Black Fox cider)
2 tbsp dry yeast
2 dl spelt flakes + a few more for sprinkling on the top
5 dl spelt flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
50 g butter

Method

Grate the carrot. Warm the cider lukewarm and add the yeast, spelt flakes and grated carrot in there. Melt the butter and mix the spelt flour, sugar and salt.

Combine all the ingredients, knead to a dough and let it rise for one hour. It's perfectly sufficient to knead just with a spatula, you don't necessarily have to knead by hand.

Then shape small rolls from the dough and place them on a baking tray. Sprinkle some more spelt flakes on the top and let them rise for further 30 minutes under a teatowel.

Bake the rolls at 200C for about 15-20 minutes until fully baked. Serve with cheese, butter or soft cheese when they are still warm.


Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.