16 November 2013

Tomato and olive spelt crust pizza


To celebrate my 200th blog post I decided to dedicate it to a wonderful favourite of mine, a vegetarian thin crust pizza. I wanted to reach the 200 post mark this year and it looks like there will be a few more to come as we are approaching the main eating season of the year. One thing is very clear to me, I certainly wouldn't have the strength and enthusiasm to do this without you, my dear readers. So thank you so much for reading, commenting and trying out the recipes, you are the best!



On to today's recipe: I made a juicy tomato and olive pizza on a spelt crust. The olives I used had a hint of lemon and I would recommend you to add little lemon juice if you can't get hold of such lemony olives. Unlike to my regular habits I didn't make a tomato sauce for this pizza, but covered the crust with great local selected tomatoes and huge basil leaves.




The crust:

14g dry yeast
200g wheat flour
200g spelt flour
350ml warm water
2tsp salt
3tbsp olive oil

The topping:

Selected tomatoes
Fresh basil
Mozzarella
Green olives
Ground black pepper

Make the spelt crust first. I normally prefer either half spelt or half rye crusts instead of crusts fully made of wheat flour. Mix the dry ingredients together and add the warm water. Knead it to an even dough and add olive oil. Then knead for a while further and let it rest under a tea towel for about 40 minutes.

In the meanwhile slice the tomatoes and grate the mozzarella. As you will notice, this pizza doesn't need much work at all.

When the dough has risen enough, roll it into a thin crust. Place the basil leaves, cheese, tomatoes and olives on it and grind some black pepper on the top. I would normally put the cheese on the top, but this time I placed it under the tomatoes and olives, which was a very good choice for this particular style of pizza.


Bake the pizza at 200C for about 10-15 minutes until the crust is crispy and the cheese melted and golden brown. Serve the pizza with good wine and enjoy.





Stay hungry!

Your VegHog


4 comments:

  1. Well done,wow, 200 posts ,keep going , I love what you cook,all the best from Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'm planning to keep going thanks to my readers and I still have plenty of ideas as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on 200 blog posts! This pizza is so colorful and looks very delicious. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.