12 November 2013

Vegetarian cheesy oven sausages


This dish took me back in time to Finland of the 1980s and I want to take you there with me. I remember this honest and basic classic well from my childhood and now I have created a vegetarian version of it. This is a recipe for oven sausages with cheese served with potato mash. I really love it and sometimes it's just the best thing after a hard working day, especially in the autumn and winter! This is also a great dish for kids.

Sausages:

6 Lincolnshire vegetarian sausages or any other veggie sausages of your choice
Some hearty cheese slices, I used Emmental cheese

Mash:

Potatoes
Milk
Butter
Salt

Side relish:

1 red onion
1 yellow romano pepper
1 garlic clove
Pine nuts
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Prepare the potato mash as usual by boiling the potatoes soft, mashing them and adding little milk, butter and salt. This makes a lovely smooth mash. As decoration and extra flavour I sprinkled my nettle salt on the top for serving.

While the potatoes are boiling heat the oven to 180C. Make a few cuts across the sausages and place cheese slices into the cuts. Bake for about 20 minutes until the sausages are done and cheese has melted and partly crispy.

The side relish can be prepared in parallel. Slice the onion and pepper and chop the garlic. Heat a small pan and first roast the pine nuts in the dry pan until they develop a nice roasted flavour. Then set the pine nuts to side and add olive oil into the pan. Slowly sweat the onion and pepper rings at moderate heat until they reach a slightly sweet flavour. Later add the garlic and the pine nuts and season with salt and pepper. A fresh simple salad also goes well with this dish, if you don't want to make this relish.

Serve all these components together and enjoy!





Your VegHog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.