1 September 2014

Harissa and spelt stew


September is here! I'm quite excited about all the lovely autumn dishes that I can cook now and I hope you are too! I had a small break from posting in the end of last month, but now I'm very motivated to post, cook and eat a lot.

Today I'll start with a savoury and spicy dish just to kick things off for the month. I cooked an autumnal dish with the feel that I really appreciate in this season. I used harissa, which is such a handy thing to have around and it goes oh so well with halloumi. Have a read what a simple dish this is, only a bit of slow-roasting needed.

Ingredients

4 red bell peppers
4 large shallots
2 tbsp olive oil
250 g cherry vine tomatoes
250 g halloumi
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves
1 cup pearled spelt
500 ml vegetable stock
3-4 tsp harissa
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp honey
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp thyme


Method

Chop the peppers and shallots coarsely and brush them with olive oil. Roast at 180C for about 40 minutes and then also add the tomatoes to the dish and roast for further 30 minutes.

Chop the halloumi into cubes and fry the cubes golden brown. Set them to side to wait until later.

Chop the garlic finely and cook it in olive oil. Then add the pearled spelt to the pan, soon followed by the roasted vegetables. Stir and add ground cumin, harissa and half of the vegetable stock to the pan and let simmer under the lid until the spelt is cooked nicely.

Add more vegetable stock when needed. You might not need all of it depending on the moistness of the dish. Season with honey, paprika and thyme and taste, whether more harissa or cumin is needed. Add the halloumi dices and let simmer for further 5 minutes.


Serve warm and enjoy!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.