13 September 2014

Sweetcorn and black bean burritos


I spontaneously started craving burritos, so I had to do something about that (well, a day later that is...). As I happened to have black beans in the cupboard I started planning what else could go with them into nice veggie burritos. I chose the ingredients below, mainly black beans, sweetcorn, pepper and tomatoes. Those are always good basics + I got to use loads of my own tomatoes again. I can't promise that these are very authentic burritos, but it's my take on them anyway.

And here's how I made them.

500 g tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil

Slow-cook the above ingredients into a tomato sauce, until the sauce is concentrated and the tomato taste is intense and any excess liquid has evaporated. Simmer at least one hour, mostly with lid on, and stir occasionally. This is quite similar method to my slow-cooked tomato sauce recipe.  


Then continue with the below ingredients.

2 large shallots
1 pointy yellow romano pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp chilli flakes
240 g / 1 can black beans
240 g / 1 can sweetcorn

Chop the shallots finely and the pepper into small cubes. Start cooking them in a separate pan in vegetable oil until they are soft.

Add the seasoning and then the beans and sweetcorn. Cook for about 15 minutes at low heat.

Add the concentrated tomato sauce to the vegetables and stir.

Now your filling is ready for the burritos.

6 soft tortilla wraps
300 g Red Leicester and Cheddar cheese mix grated

Warm the tortilla wraps up and fill them with the sweetcorn and black bean mix and cheese. Wrap them into burritos and enjoy!

I also served a tomato salsa (my recipe here) and plain cottage cheese on the side.  


Have a good weekend!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.