11 September 2014

Spelt and cheese scones


I think now I have finally become English! On a couple of days I have been baking scones and then having them with TEA! However I still kept some individuality by making savoury scones instead of sweet ones, which might not please the English so much.

I really like baking savoury rolls and things, and at the moment I have loads of spelt flower in my cupboard. I made a panic buy when I heard people talking about a threatening spelt shortage! I'm not sure if it actually has come to pass, but at least I have my flour and pearls now.


These scones couldn't be much easier to make, there's no kneading involved, and my recipe makes about 10 scones Ø 6cm.

Ingredients

225 g spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
A pinch of cayenne pepper
55 g butter
50 g mature Cheddar cheese
150 ml milk + a little for brushing

Method

Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper, and rub in the butter. Add the cheese and milk and mix only lightly into an even dough.

Spread the dough about 2 cm thick and cut scones of it with a round cookie cutter.

Brush the tops with little milk and sprinkle some additional cheese on them.

Place the scones on baking paper and bake them at 220C for about 15 minutes until they have risen slightly and have nice golden brown tops.




I must say they were really good with tea, so maybe give it a go! They are best consumed on the same day, but are still okay on the next as well.

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.