10 September 2014

Pepper nuggets


This week I have been determined not to go food shopping yet, and just cook with the stuff I have in the fridge and my cupboards. My dry cupboard is quite well equipped, but I thought it's better to use these things more rather than to have the cupboards full. I also have some fresh veg and of those I wanted to use the romano peppers first.

I sometimes use this brainstorming approach to cooking and just dig a bit around in my kitchen to check what I have and what I could use. I'm still indecisive about today's dish, but yesterday I created rather successfully some pepper nuggets.

Most ingredients in this recipe are interchangeable, so this is a perfect dish to get creative with. The aim is only to get a dough firm enough in order to be able to create the nugget shapes. I chose baking instead of frying as the shapes can be maintained more easily and they are less fatty.

If you got curious, read the simple instructions to make no-nonsense vegetarian nuggets.


Recipe for about 10 nuggets.

Ingredients

2 pointy yellow romano peppers
3 tbsp soy flakes
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 shallot
2 garlic cloves
1 cup grated Cheddar
1 egg
1 cup semolina
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
Sprinkle of salt
Sprinkle of ground black pepper

Method

Grate the pepper and Cheddar with a cheese grater and chop the shallot and garlic finely.

Let the soy flakes moisten for a few minutes. The pepper should be moist enough to moisten the soy flakes, but also add some soy sauce on the flakes.

Simply mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add the semolina little by little to get the right texture.

Shape nuggets from the dough. I chose the triangle shape for mine.

Bake the nuggets on baking paper at 200C for about 30 minutes until the surface is crispy and browned.



Enjoy with a nice dip. I had again spicy tomato chutney powered by Jack Ratt cider.

That was all, so easy!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Yum - Your pepper nuggets look awesome and i would really really like to try them, just a quick question where do you get your soy flakes (what brand), as I don't think i have come across them in the U.K. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shaheen! I used Neals Yard Wholefoods Natural Soya Protein Mince, I guess it's mince and not flakes after all, for me it's kind of the same. Anyway those can be got at Holland & Barrett.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I get the one from H&B, so your recipe is now bookmarked and will appear on my blog in the very near future, I will give you a nudge when I make it at home (and also when the new Marrow recipe is up) Thank you soooo much.

      Delete
    3. That is really cool, thank you! I hope you'll like them! Also thanks for letting me know about the marrow recipe!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.