10 July 2013

Carrot and potato soup

The weather is a bit hot for eating a soup, I admit it, but I'm still going to post this recipe today. This is a perfectly good and tasty vegan soup and can be enjoyed anytime.

Follow these simple steps to make this soup.

Ingredients

4 carrots
1 cup red lentils
6 small potatoes (seasonal new potatoes are brilliant to be used at the moment)
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
500ml vegetable stock
Fresh parsley
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Wash and peel the potatoes and quarter them or slice them into small pieces. Also wash and slice the carrots and chop the onion and garlic. Prepare the vegetable stock. You can make your own, use a ready made vegetable stock or mix one with vegetable stock powder. I find that the powder version is quite convenient as I often need vegetable stock and that's long lasting and easy to make.

Heat some olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the potatoes and carrots. Then add the onions and finally the garlic. After these are glazed, make a vegetable stock addition. Pour in about the third of your stock and let it all simmer for a while. Stir occasionally and add more vegetable stock if needed.

After these ingredients have simmered for about 10 minutes, rinse the red lentils and add them to the saucepan along some more vegetable stock. Then let the soup simmer until the lentils, potatoes and carrots are cooked soft and season it with fresh parsley, salt and pepper. Puree the soup and serve it hot.


Enjoy now or save the recipe for the autumn!

Your VegHog


2 comments:

  1. This reminds me a lot of a childhood soup that my mother would make. Only, instead of using lentils she used rice and she would add albondigas (meat balls).

    I know what you mean about posting hot food recipes during the summer. I recently did one too but they can definitely be made during the evening when the weather has cooled. :)
    Your recipe looks like something I'd love to eat at night while watching a good movie.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soups so much so I simply have to eat them in the summer as well. :) I'm glad that there are other people too who appreciate good veggie soups. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.